Henry Borthwick

Henry Borthwick was born in Edinburgh in 1940. The younger of twin sons born to Harry and Margaret Borthwick. He was brought up at Crookston. After attending Gordonstoun School, he served a five year engineering apprenticeship with MacTaggart Scott in Loanhead, before studying mechanical engineering at the Heriot-Watt university.

In 1968 he emigrated to South Africa, and worked for Anglo American, qualified as a mining engineer, and worked on the gold mines, with a spell in Mauritania, West Africa on a copper mine.

Henry BorthwickIn 1972, Henry met Elspeth MacConachie at her brother Alasdair's wedding in Bath. He had met Alasdair in South Africa while working on the mines. Five months later they were married, in Johannesburg, and in 1973 a son Malcolm was born.

In 1974 the family returned to Scotland and Henry worked for British Aluminium at the Aluminium smelter in Invergordon. In 1977 he came to live in the Oxon area and farmed at New Channelkirk, Glengelt and Kirktonhill until 1993, when he went to teach engineering and mining at jewel and Esk Valley College. Henry and Elspeth are enjoying retirement at Channelkirk cottage. Their son Malcolm is married to Alex Watson, and they have one son, Archie born in 2007.

The Borthwicks have been associated with Channelkirk for a long time. In the year 1458 at Edinburgh, King James 11 gave to Lord William Borthwick and his heirs, the lands of Glengelt in Berwickshire, which Mary Pringle in her widowhood had resigned. Lord William married her in the same year.

Sir William Borthwick, father of this Lord William of Glengelt, was Ambassador to Rome in 1425, and was created first Lord Borthwick in 1450.

In an obituary in the Scotsman of Henry Borthwick in 1937, the following paragraph was included " Mr Borthwick was Laird of Glengelt, holding this grant of land direct from the crown. A condition is that the owner should present a white rose to the Royal Sovereign when he passed that way, and this condition has been honoured on several occasions. Once the train conveying Queen Victoria was stopped at Fountainhall Station in order that Mr Borthwick predecessor should present a bouquet of roses"
next biography