John and Adelaide Borthwick

John Hugh Borthwick 24th Lord Borthwick is eldest of twin boys - born 14th November 1940.
He and twin Henry were brought up at Crookston House, which was requisitioned by the land army during the war.

Both boys were sent to Ardvreck, and then Wester Elchies, Aberlour House and Gordonstoun School. John went to Edinburgh College of Agriculture and Henry went to Heriot Watt to study mechanical engineering.

John worked for John Swan and Sons, Livestock Auctioneers, for eighteen months. He then sailed to New Zealand by boat (Northern Star, of the Shaw Saville Line) via Canaries, Capetown, Durban, Freemantle, Melbourne and Sydney. He worked on various farms for nine months before returning by the New Zealand Shipping Line (Rangatoto) by way of Tahiti, Panama Canal, Fort Lauderdale, Bermuda and across the Atlantic. He joined his father in partnership on the family farms at Heriot, Midlothian.

In 1974 John married Adelaide Birkmyre and a daughter Georgina, was born on 18th December 1975, and Alexandra followed on 25th August 1977. Alexandra (left) and Georgina

John supported his father Harry, in his quest to reclaim the peerage, and in the founding of the Clan Association.
John and his family moved to Crookston on the death of Harry 23rd Lord Borthwick. Extensive renovations had to be carried out at that time, and ongoing improvements are in hand.

John enjoys fishing, stalking, photography, collecting cigarette cards, stamps, and took up golf on retirement from farming. (L. Plates still very much in place!) he also spends time logging in the grounds of Crookston- a great therapy!

John is a member of the New Club in Edinburgh, and a Deputy Lieutenant for the County of Midlothian.

Adelaide enjoys outdoor pursuits, particularly gardening, fishing and walking. She enjoys reading anything to do with history and loves listening to all types of music. They both enjoy being grandparents to Florence Adelaide, their first grandchild, born in December 2007. next biography